Father’s Day is on Sunday, June 19 this year, it is an opportunity to tell dad how much you appreciate him. New dads, old dads, granddads, dads-in-law, stepdads, serious dads, goofball dads…There must be a million fatherly types out there, and without a doubt, there are at least that many reasons to honor them on Father’s Day.
Whether you’re writing a Father’s Day card for dad, grandpa, or someone who’s been an influential figure in your life, you can write a loving message to show your deepest appreciation and say thanks for all he’s done for you. We’ve provided a variety of heartfelt and funny Father’s Day messages to add to your Father’s Day gifts, and Father’s Day cards, along with easy tips on what to write in a Father’s Day card.
If you’re stumped about what to write in a Father’s Day card, these notes will start you off.
- 1 Why Are Father’s Day Card Messages Important?
- 2 What To Write In A Father’s Day Card
- 3 Inspirational Father’s Day Message For Dad From Daughter
- 4 What To Write In A Father’s Day Message For Dad From Son
- 5 Funny Father’s Day Message For Your Husband From Wife
- 6 Short Father’s Day Message For Someone Like A Father To You
- 7 Father’s Day Messages For Your Father-in-Law That Show Your Appreciation
- 8 Father’s Day Card Messages For Son-In-Law
- 9 Father’s Day Card Messages For Your Son
- 10 Happy Father’s Day Messages For Stepdads
- 11 Father’s Day Messages For A Father To-Be
- 12 Father’s Day Messages For A New Father
- 13 Father’s Day Card Messages for Your Uncle
- 14 Father’s Day Card Messages for Your Grandfather
- 15 Father’s Day Card Messages for Nephew
- 16 Father’s Day Messages For Your Son Or Grandson
- 17 Father’s Day Messages To A Brother Or Friend
- 18 Sweet Father’s Day Message For Dad When You Cannot Be Together
- 19 Goodbye Message For Father Who Passed Away
- 20 Meaningful Father’s Day Card Messages for a Teacher
- 21 Father’s Day Card Messages for a Coach
- 22 Warm Closings
Why Are Father’s Day Card Messages Important?
Whether you’ve found the perfect Father’s Day gifts or you’re planning on taking your Dad out for a nice dinner, it’s also important to express your gratitude for him with words that come straight from the heart. Nothing means more to Dad than hearing how much you love and appreciate him, and a nice Father’s Day card makes a forever keepsake. Even if the note is short and sweet, it’s still meaningful.
What To Write In A Father’s Day Card
When it comes to writing your message, avoid generic phrasing and instead speak from the heart. Otherwise, go with a funny Father’s Day card to tap into your shared sense of humor. If you’re having trouble finding the right words to say, follow our easy steps to write your Father’s Day message:
- Wish him a Happy Father’s Day! Begin your card by wishing him a Happy Father’s Day or writing “Dear Dad.”
- Thank him. Thank your father, grandfather, husband, or partner for their role and influence in your life. You can share specific qualities you admire most about them. You can also write what you’re grateful for and add compliments. If your relationship with your dad is complicated, speak to what is positive and true.
- Share a memory. Share a sentimental or funny memory that the recipient will connect with. Writing a shared memory adds personalization to your Father’s Day message.
- End with a warm closing. Finish off your card with a warm and heartfelt closing.
Inspirational Father’s Day Message For Dad From Daughter
Your father gave you hugs and kisses, stories, and love. He’s been your friend, protector, advisor, and co-conspirator. Your dad is the finest man you know, and you couldn’t be prouder to have him as your father. Tell your dad how amazing he is and how spectacular his parenting skills are by sending him one of these inspirational Happy Father’s Day cards.
- You’ve been there through my highs and lows, but always made me feel like I could soar! Happy Father’s Day!
- No matter how many years go by, Dad, I’ll always be that same little girl who loves you with all her heart. Happy Father’s Day!
- For all the things you do and say, you’ve touched my heart in every way. Happy Father’s Day from Your Daughter!
- You always know how to lift me up and make me feel like a star! Happy Father’s Day!
- Silly, sweet, always there to make me smile. That’s why you’ll always be my Prince Charming, Dad. Happy Father’s Day!
- Father’s Day hug is coming for you! Happy Father’s Day to the best dad ever!
- Happy Father’s Day to My Awesome Dad! Your voice in my head has always guided me. I love you, Dad. Thanks for never steering me wrong.
- Roses Are Blue Fathers Are Cool Thanks To You, I Know How To Rule. Happy FATHER’S DAY
- Happy Father’s Day. Thank you for always making me smile, Dad! You’re incredible.
- As much as I have grown, I know I’ll always be your little princess and I wouldn’t have it any other way. Here’s to you, Dad. Happy FATHER’S DAY
Check out our Handmade Wooden Spoon and Fork Personalized Gift
What To Write In A Father’s Day Message For Dad From Son
Let your dad know just how great you think he is with one of these Father’s Day message ideas. Whatever type of relationship you have with your dad, from heartfelt to funny, you’re sure to capture the magic of the relationship between a son and his dad with our wishes.
- Dad, you’re someone to look up to no matter how tall I’ve grown. Thanks for being such a great mentor and buddy. Happy Father’s Day!
- Some people call their fathers superheroes. But superheroes tend to disappear, and you’ve always been there for me. If you ask me, my dad isn’t a superhero, he is a Super Dad! Have a great Father’s Day!
- You always told me that I can do the impossible if only I tried hard enough. That’s why I can live the amazing life I do. You inspire me to be brave enough to achieve my goals. Happy Father’s Day, Dad, and thank you for everything you do!
- Hey Dad, I got a present for you. I stole your To-Do list from Mom. All you need to do is rip it up. Just don’t tell mom, okay? Happy Father’s Day!
- Dad, you’re the first person I phone when I have a question about something or when I need some good advice. Thanks for always being there for me!
- Now I’m a father myself, I admire you all the more! Thanks for being such a great dad and role model, and now a wonderful grandfather too! Have a great day!
Funny Father’s Day Message For Your Husband From Wife
This guy is your everything, even before you had kids. You’ve shared so much, you’ve built a family, and he’s become your partner in keeping these amazing individuals safe, happy, and loved. That’s a lot to give, as you well know! Just let it all out and tell him how there isn’t a better person on the planet anywhere!
- On this Father’s Day, I’m loving you even more than I usually do. Have a wonderful day.
- I’m thinking of everything you’ve done for our family today, and I’m feeling so, so thankful.
- Thank you for every single thing you do for our family. I’m truly thankful.
- I love you and I treasure the family we’ve built together. Happy Father’s Day!
- I’m raising a glass to you and wishing you the most beautiful, meaningful day.
- You’ve done so much for this family, and today, we’re celebrating that. Thank you for everything!
- I hope you know how much I appreciate you, today and always. Happy Father’s Day!
- You’re an incredible dad and an even better partner.
- Thank you for going above and beyond every day. I love you!
- I’m so thankful to be able to share this journey of parenthood with you. Happy Father’s Day!
- Thank you for all you do for our family! We’re so lucky to have you in our lives.
- Happy Father’s Day to a wonderful dad and amazing husband. We love you so much!
- I’m so proud of the father you’ve become. I couldn’t have asked for more.
- You’re an incredible dad every day of the year, but I’m glad we can set aside today to celebrate you. Cheers to you.
Writing tip: If the card you choose for your husband says “Husband,” but you call him Alex or Steve or something else, use your written message to personalize it, addressing him by the familiar title or name you always use for him.
Short Father’s Day Message For Someone Like A Father To You
If you’re very lucky, you have an uncle, godfather, or other caring men close to you who has been a unique mix of a friend, family, mentor, and/or father figure to you through the years. Here are some things you might say to him on Father’s Day…
- “Thinking of you on Father’s Day, Uncle Ron, and feeling so grateful that we’re family.”
- “Happy Father’s Day to my wonderful godfather. My parents couldn’t have picked a better (or funnier!) man for the job!”
- “You’ve always gone above and beyond to support me and celebrate important times in my life. That’s why I’m thinking of you with special gratitude on Father’s Day.”
- “With love and thanks for an amazing man, I’ll always look up to”
- “You’re the kind of man everyone needs in their lives.”
- “Just wanted to recognize you on Father’s Day for being such a caring and positive influence in my life. I’m more grateful than you could ever know.”
- “I hope it doesn’t come as a surprise that I’m thinking of you today. After all, you’ve cared about me almost like a father.”
- “Don’t know where I’d be without your wisdom and guidance.”
- “Having you in my life has made all the difference in the world to me.”
Writing tip: Father’s Day is truly for all men who give of themselves with a father’s heart. Family relationships are not required. Don’t hesitate to send a card and write a warm message to any man who has been a strong and caring influence in your life.
Father’s Day Messages For Your Father-in-Law That Show Your Appreciation
Your father-in-law has brought you in as part of his own family, and he’d love to know how much he means to you on Father’s Day. You can compliment him on the job he did raising the partner/spouse you love so much or your pride in being part of your new family. (You may even call your father-in-law “Dad.”) He may also be a caretaker or grandparent to your kids, so shout it out!
- The kids love you to pieces! Happy Father’s Day from all of us!
- Celebrating all the wonderful parenting you’ve done that has brought [name of spouse] to me.
- You and your family mean the world to me, and I’m so proud to be part of it as your daughter/son-in-law.
- Thanks for all the time, support, and love you give to our family, Dad – Happy Father’s Day!
Father’s Day Card Messages For Son-In-Law
Your son-in-law is supporting your own child as his spouse and has become a part of your family, and maybe you’re close enough to think of him as one of your own. Messages that let him know how much he is appreciated or how much he does for your family are always appropriate and sincere.
- Our family is so proud to have you in it!
- You’ve given us the joy of such amazing grandkids — and you’re such a wonderful dad to them.
- Happy Father’s Day to the best son-in-law I/we could ever have hoped for.
- The way you take care of our son/daughter and your whole family is to be applauded!
Father’s Day Card Messages For Your Son
Your son is a father, and what could be better? He’s given you a grandchild (or more than one) to spoil of course! But he’s also passing on your family traditions to one or many of his own. And there’s nothing more special than seeing your own children with their children, at any age.
- When you were in diapers I couldn’t have imagined how good you’d be at changing them yourself!
- There is nothing more wonderful than seeing your own child as a parent — you make me so proud.
- Lucky, grateful, and proud of the kind, caring, the amazing parent you are.
- You are a hero not just to your kids, but to me/us too. Happy Father’s Day with lots of love!
Writing tip: Pride is a strong theme for sons and grandsons who are fathers. Let him know that fatherhood is one of the many reasons you’re proud of him.
Happy Father’s Day Messages For Stepdads
Stepdads are wonderful father figures that come into our worlds at various stages of our lives. These Happy Father’s Day messages for stepdads will mean a lot to these dads, particularly if they have a close bond with you or don’t have biological children.
- Happy Father’s Day! You may not be my dad by blood, but you are in every other way. Thank you for being one of the most important influences in my life.
- I’m so proud that I’ve become your child and that I can honor two amazing men on Father’s Day. I’m grateful to have two fathers, twice the love, and two families to belong to.
- Happy Step-Father’s Day! Thank you for all of the love, guidance, and support you give me today and every day. You have been like a father to me.
- Thank you for all that you have done for me. You are an amazing stepfather who has made a huge, positive difference in my life.
- Happy Father’s Day to my stepfather. I’m very grateful to have you as a mentor in my life. I appreciate you guiding me in life to grow and reach my full potential.
- Stepping into my life and being a stepdad has been a journey. I hope that you have loved the ride as much as I have. Happy Father’s Day.
- Happy Father’s Day! You are not just my stepdad but a trusted friend. It makes me feel so proud when you introduce me as your child.
- Thank you for being my role model, mentor, and the best stepfather. I’m so lucky that you came into my life. Happy Father’s Day.
- Happy Father’s Day to my fantastic stepdad! I hope you love being a part of our blended family as much as I do.
- Happy Father’s Day! You are so much more than simply being my mom’s husband. You’re a friend and an incredible father.
Father’s Day Messages For A Father To-Be
Dad’s very first Father’s Day is so special! Here are some short Father’s Day greetings for a new dad you could write in a card or text message to celebrate this occasion.
- Congratulations on becoming a daddy. You’re off to a brilliant start. Enjoy your first Father’s Day today!
- May your first Father’s Day be filled with cuddles and fun, and a bit of sleep too! Happy Father’s Day!
- Happy first Father’s Day Daddy! I may be little, but I love you so much already!
- Happy first Father’s Day, Daddy! You’re doing a great job – I’m so lucky God chose you for my dad!
This Father’s Day poem is super sweet and the perfect message for a new dad on their first Father’s Day.
Happy Father’s Day, Daddy,
I have a present for you.
No, it’s not in my diaper,
But that needs changing, too!
I have a poem to let you know
How lucky Mommy and I are
Because when it comes to daddies
You really are a star!
Thanks for taking care of me
With cuddles and silly songs.
Thanks for settling me back to sleep,
The nights they can be long
One day I’ll be big like you,
And strong and smart and brave.
But while I’m little I want to say
Happy First Father’s Day!
Father’s Day Messages For A New Father
Awaiting the arrival of your first child is a wonderful and exciting time. Do you know someone who is about to become a new dad? Be sure to wish them well with one of these short Father’s Day wishes for fathers-to-be!
- Not long now! Happy Father’s Day to one very special soon-to-be daddy!
- Happy Father-to-be day! Your little baby is so lucky they’re getting you as their dad!
- Happy almost Father’s Day to an amazing papa in the making! We’re so excited that you’ll be meeting your baby very soon!
- Just think, this time next year you’ll be holding a little bundle of joy in your arms! Congratulations and happy Father’s Day to a wonderful dad-to-be!
- Happy Father’s Day to one super excited almost-daddy! We can’t wait to meet your new baby soon and see you rock this dad thing! Good luck!
Writing tip: Excitement and encouragement are great qualities in a father-to-be or first Father’s Day message. Share in the anticipation, or tell him he’s going to be a great dad. Or both!
Father’s Day Card Messages for Your Uncle
Uncles may or may not carry an official dad title, but they sure do the things a dad does. Some have their own families, some are stand-in dads, and some are mentors, caregivers, or close family friends. Last we checked, they don’t get their own day to boast a medal. So show them how important they are on Father’s Day!
- Happy Father’s Day, Uncle! Hope today you feel loved and appreciated for all you do [for me or for your own family].
- With all the advice and support you give, you’ve earned the title of Best Uncle Ever!
- Nothing makes me happier than knowing I have an uncle who loves me as much as you.
- You’ve always taken such good care of me — I’m not your own child, but you treat me as if I were, and that means the world to me.
Father’s Day Card Messages for Your Grandfather
Every culture has its own nickname for Gramps, but his support for you, your spouse, and/or your children remains the same. Give Granddad the cred he deserves on Father’s Day.
- Every memory I have with you has instilled in me a sense of family, love, tradition, and pride. We love you so much!
- Thank you for building a wonderful family that I am so proud to belong to (and raise my own children in). Happy Father’s Day!
- My kids love you so much — knowing how much love you give to them means the world to me.
- You are loving, wise, and the greatest hero anyone in our family could ever have.
Father’s Day Card Messages for Nephew
If your nephew has kids, you can bet you’re extra-proud to see your sibling/cousin’s son as a dad himself! Any words of praise telling him the great job he’s doing will go a long way to make your Father’s Day card to your nephew extra meaningful.
- I’ve always been proud of you but even more so now that you’re a dad. Happy Father’s Day
- Our family tree is bigger, stronger, and more loving with such a great father like you in it!
- Your kids are just as great as their Dad is — hope you enjoy every minute of your special day!
- On Father’s Day, hope you get some time to relax and take a break from being the great dad you always are!
Father’s Day Messages For Your Son Or Grandson
If your grandson is a dad, well, you’ve got quite the generational spread going — and you yourself deserve points for being the founder of this multi-generation celebration! Surely you’ll have words of wisdom to pass on and of course immense pride in seeing your child’s child as a father, who has also given (or is giving) your great-grandkids to cherish.
For Your Son
- “So very proud of the son, the man, and the father you are.”
- “Happy Father’s Day to our wonderful son. Thanks for being such a devoted father to our favorite little granddaughter!”
- “Now that you’re a dad, you can understand better all the love and pride we’ve always felt for you.”
- “For a kid who used to gag when your little brother’s diaper got changed, you sure did grow up to be a great dad!”
- “With a love for being such a great son…and for making me such a happy grandmother!”
- “You’re a natural as a dad. It really warms our hearts to see you with your little boy.”
For Your Grandson
- “Our family has a tradition of strong, devoted fathers, and Grandsons, you’re carrying it on wonderfully!”
- “I am so lucky to have you for my grandson. And your kids are even luckier to have you for their dad.”
- “Thinking of you and that sweet great-grandson of mine today!”
- “So proud of the wonderful job you’re doing as a dad.”
- “Seems like just yesterday you were a little boy yourself. Love seeing you as a big strong dad now!”
- “Happy Father’s Day to a grandson who just keeps on bringing new joy to our family.”
Writing tip: Pride is a strong theme for sons and grandsons who are fathers. Let him know that fatherhood is one of the many reasons you’re proud of him.
Father’s Day Messages To A Brother Or Friend
When your brother is a parent, it’s pretty darn special. He’s also given you nieces or nephews to hang out with! (If you’re a sister this is particularly sweet. Ask any sister and you might get more sappy vibes than you expect.)
- Hope your kids don’t cause you the trouble that we caused our dad!
- To a wonderful uncle, and an even better dad!
- Your nieces and nephews think the world of you, enjoy the day!
- Happy Father’s Day to the man who gives our dad a run for his money.
- It’s amazing to see you grow into the dad you are today.
- Growing up together was great, but raising our kids together is even better!
Is it weird to wish a friend Happy Father’s Day?
Heck no! Whether he’s a rookie or a veteran, a dad can always use a little encouragement. Father’s Day is the perfect occasion for a reminder that he is doing a great job.
Sweet Father’s Day Message For Dad When You Cannot Be Together
Some years, it’s just not possible to be there in person to celebrate all your favorite dads on Father’s Day. But you can use your written message to honor and appreciate them, whether they’re across the country or just across town.
- Sending love and thanks across the miles to the best dad ever.
- Thinking of all our fun Father’s Days on the lake and wishing I could be there enjoying this one along with you.
- I miss being with you on Father’s Day, but I’m thinking about you and hoping you have a great day.
- Happy Father’s Day! Wish I could be there helping you man the grill.
- Happy Father’s Day from afar to an amazing dad. Miss you.
- Popping open a cool one in your honor on Father’s Day. Cheers!
- We may not be spending Father’s Day together, but luckily, we’re connected in a way that stretches across any distance. So grateful for that closeness…and for you.
- Near or far, I’m always so thankful for the great dad you are.
- I wish I could be there in person to remind you in person how much I love you, Dad.
- Have a great Father’s Day. Looking forward to spending some time together when we visit next month!
- Dad, whether I was living under your roof or in your heart, you’ve loved me just the same. That means the world to me.
- Tal vez hoy no podamos celebrar juntos, pero quiero que sepas que te admiro mucho y que te deseo un muy feliz Día del Padre.
Helpful Tip: If being apart on Father’s Day is a sore subject, you don’t need to bring it up at all. Just focus on putting as much love and gratitude as you can into your message. Whatever your situation, a follow-up phone call, FaceTime, or Zoom get-together is a great idea, too.
Goodbye Message For Father Who Passed Away
If you are struggling for words, and want to express the hurt of the loss of your father, try the following messages for a lost father.
- I keep thinking about you, Dad, even though it hurts. I’d give anything to relive those memories again.
- Dad, I’m so thankful for all the memories we shared together. I only wish you were here to make more.
- Not a day goes by that I don’t think about you. I wish I still had your wisdom to guide me through my everyday,
- Every day without you has been hard, but on this day especially I can’t help but think how much I wish you were here with me.
- You were the guiding light in my life, and today especially I’m reminded of how lucky I was to have you for as long as I did. I love you to the moon and back.
- How lucky am I to have had a father so special that I miss you this much? As much as I hate not having you around, I’m happy to know you’re at peace.
- You may not be with me anymore, but my love for you will never die. I miss you, Dad.
Meaningful Father’s Day Card Messages for a Teacher
Great teachers inspire us every day, so inspire them with some words of support and thanks — messages that say “thank you for sharing your time” with your children or with you are perfect, especially when they have families of their own.
- You are looked up to, and appreciated — you’re the best! Hope your Father’s Day is as great as you are!
- A great teacher like you is probably the greatest dad, too. Happy Father’s Day
- Time is important, so thank you for sharing your time with our family. Happy Father’s Day
- Thank you for helping my [son/daughter] grow to be a kind, respectful, happy student — hope Father’s Day brings happiness your way, too!
Father’s Day Card Messages for a Coach
If your coach or your child’s coach is a parent, no wonder they’re so good at leading the way! Why not give them props and thanks for the time they spend with you and/or your family, too?
- You always give so selflessly. Wishing a great coach a great Father’s Day.
- Committed, dedicated, caring, and wise — thank you for all you do.
- Thank you for sharing your time with me — hope you have a wonderful Father’s Day celebrating all the things that make you so amazing!
- Happy Father’s Day to the man who is teaching me how to be the best man I can be.
A warm closing before your signature is like the bow on top! Choose one of ours, or come up with one of your own.
- With love,
- Lots of love,
- Love always,
- Love, always and forever,
- Much love to you,
- All my/our love,
- With much love and admiration,
- Wishing you happiness,
- Warmest wishes,
- With heartfelt thanks,
- God bless,
- Love you,
- Love and cuddles,
- Hugs and kisses,
- Con Mucho Cariño,
Whether you come up with something sweet, witty, or wise, only you know what makes the dad in your life so special to you — and that’s what he really wants to hear.